POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Animated paperplane v0.1 - paperplane2.avi (1/1) : Re: Animated paperplane v0.1 -- 3 attachments (65KBU) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animated paperplane v0.1 -- 3 attachments (65KBU)
From: Nikodemus Siivola
Date: 27 Feb 2001 17:45:50
Message: <Xns90567D065894tsiivolacchutfi@204.213.191.228>
Remco de Korte <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote in <3A9AFF6D.BC7DD671@xs4all.nl>:

>I did a similar thing some time ago.
>I've attached some small examples.

>If the codec is a problem I could
>post the larger (file) versions .

Dunno if it is the codec or my computer, but unfortunately I was unable to
view these...

>Since I needed to have images on both
>sides I couldn't use a mesh (or at

I think that with MegaPOV you could, since all the triangles should have a
normal vector - and therefore you could use the inside texture thingie. I
think. Haven't tried.

Actually, it could possibly be done with meshes even in normal POV-Ray, but
it would have been a bit messy: You can apply textures to individual
triangles, just make a "hollow" paper, where the top and bottom surfaces
meet only at folding points, and are something like 0.000001 apart at
maximum.

>thin box with imagemaps, cutting and
>folding. This is a recursive process
>(isn't it?) and it took ages to render.

Darn I hope I could see this. Before I decided to go the mesh-route I was
considering something similar, along with a plenty of other options. How
did you handle the points where the paper is folded several times over the
same spot?

Yours,

  -- Nikodemus